Friday, October 27, 2006

Don't call me Bubba

I have, apparently, wiggled my way into the professional good ole boy network of southern Alabama.

I had just started my current job when some sort of incident involving a vacuum pump device, a faulty hose, and a few gallons of oil took place. On me. I had showered that morning, but it turned into a really bad hair, with lots of advice from co-workers on the best way to get oil out of clothes. Dawn dishwashing detergent is not the magic elixir they claim, by the way.

I couldn't go home (which was my plan A) because Sam, a computer/environmental scientist/geek from Louisiana, arrived to install a new program for me to learn. We became friends, though he later told me the image of me covered in oil was stuck in his mind forever (what is wrong with men?) .

His company is hiring a few people on my base, and, since he's helping in the hiring process, asked me to send my resume so he could write a job description using MY skills and certifications. I asked if he wanted my height, weight, and a photo to attach to eliminate the prospect of someone else applying.

His human resource department started the background check on me this week, and when my current company found out I was leaving, chaos ensued. Who knew I was such a hot commodity? I've always been tragically underpaid in this field, but it appears we're about to have an all out bidding war...for ME!*

*I'm almost afraid to post this entry, in case I somehow jinx myself and both companies wind up saying, "Nah, you can have her."

10 comments:

junquedujour said...

This is so exciting!

Please tell me that the job description included 3hr./day blogging time without keylogger and beer breaks

Good luck darlin!

Anonymous said...

OOOoo! My cousin was in a situation like this. Both companies offered her a lot of money. She proposed to one of the companies that she deserved to be paid over twice their suggested raise thinking that the company would turn her down, but the company didn't. They gave her twice their initial suggested price.

Try to do that.

monty said...

Now, do you really think your potential new employer will have as many people to make fun of? It's not just the money, you know.

edgykay said...

What?!? What the hell? Does this mean you'll be able to support me in the fashion to which I've become accustomed? Does it?

What a nice reward for the assish month or so you've had!

And strangely, the EXACT SAME THING has happened to me! Except instead of "companies," it was "jurisdictions," and instead of "bidding war," it was "jail time."

I'm happy for you, Indi!

Anonymous said...

You Go Indigo! I am proud of you.
I wish you the best of luck and also...a lot of money! :)

I started my new job this week and it is going well. It's a new world for me but I am learning!


Sadly, I don't have much time to blog anymore, but there is always the weekend to catch up on reading blogs and to post on my own blog.

Have a great weekend!
-M.

Anonymous said...

I m so bummed about Bowie - he looks EXACTLY like my Buddah (although younger and a LOT less fat). I hope you figure out what is going on with the cats.

KNOCK on wood! You have jinxed yourself! Hopefully the bidding war gets you a nice price!

Srry I have been gone for a bit - little transition in my life recently.

Quindigo said...

Brenda: unfortunately, same big brother internet network, but I'll be having the beer breaks added - thanks!

Julie: wellllll, the cats do need some new toys....

Monty: ah, silly, there will always be rednecks to work with! (and I still have my family to ridicule) ;)

Kay: it means we'll have macarooni and cheese DELUXE now, instead of plain. Thank you!

Michelle: well, aren't we the synchronized job seekers? This, hopefully, won't affect my blogging schedule.

FPM: I have a feeling I'll be signing any raise directly to the veterinarian. Ugh. Thanks for the well wishes.

Terri G said...

Indi! WOWWW!

Isn't THAT just a huge boost to the ole ego?

I know I would mud wrestle for you, so I don't blame them for cross bidding. May the best win your heart and bless you with an amazing salary...heehee!
;)t

Anonymous said...

It's great to be appreciated.

kittycatlane said...

Hey, do you need a manager??? I can go in and let them know that someone with your specialized skills and extensive knowledge, needs to be paid big bucks, with benefits, and a personal ass wiper! (ummmm what is it you do again?) LMAO
Just teasin! I really do hope they get in a good bidding war though. Mama's babies need some catnip and a fancy schmancy kitty condo!

Now, I wanna know about you and the oil..... (knowing you, my first thought was, you covered in cooking oil, a drink in your hand and your office buddies laying 10 to 1 odds on the out come!! lol BIG HUGS, Steph