Friday, August 25, 2006

Pay it forward

My dad has this game he likes to play called "I-got-in-my-car-16-hours-ago-and-now-I'm-at-your-house...SURPRISE!"

1990. He had never been to my house in Alabama, 1050 miles away, since I had only been there a few months. In between napping/eating/wondering when I'd be able to stop wearing maternity clothes, the phone rang. He told me he was on the corner at the gas station, how would he find my house from there? It was a fantastic visit, but I don't believe I've ever been more caught off guard in my life.

2006. He and his "child bride" (she's 51) were supposed to be at my house Friday afternoon. I had a detailed, Martha Stewart type, I'm-kind-of-anal list to follow to complete everything before their arrival: cut the grass, trim the hedges, mop the floors, wash sheets, grocery shop, bake pies, etc. Thursday afternoon he called to say they were going to drive straight through rather than stop in a hotel, because they were just north of Montgomery. ACK! I do love surprises, but I prefer to be freshly showered with my to-do list completed first.

Because my sister has been depressed lately, we decided we wouldn't tell her that they would be visiting. Her mother & I synchronized our watches and met at the same restaurant for dinner Friday night. She was so shocked, she didn't even hug him initially, just stood there crying from happiness. I have an interesting photo of her veins bulging as she first realized it and lunged forward, but I promised not to post it. I definitely prefer to be the surpriser instead of the surprisee.

9 comments:

Terri G said...

Woohoo! I love surprises!

My mother also loves to show up waaaay before expected or wants to leave on some fantastic venture 1/2 hour earlier than I can possibly get out the door. I usually cry - and not always from happiness. Those are not my favorite surprises.

Glad you got to see your dad AND sister this weekend!

;)t

ps- if this is a double comment, I will be surprised AND I will cry.

Mamabooties said...

Sounds like you had a better weekend than I? fighting the flu, or sinus' or something stupid and dealing with a toddler by myself, yukky. Anyway, glad you got to see them, glad your sister was happy, i know the feeling of depressed i want to castrate something type of thing.

Leah

Haphazardkat said...

Aww that was sweet! :)

Quindigo said...

Terri: I'm freshly showered now - feel free to surprise me with a double comment ;)

Leah: well, the wee hangover on Saturday wasn't so great, but we all had one so it was a bonding experience...

Kat: yes, it was a short and sweet weekend. :)

Dwayne said...

I hate surprises. I'm rarely surprised but if someone manages to pull one off, I get mad. At least you had a little warning to get the biggies checked off.

kittycatlane said...

If it were my family, I don't think I'd appreciate it, but that's because they come with white gloves and judgemental attitudes (to which I do NOT measure up), but your Dad sounds nice, glad you had time together.
I prefer to do the surprising too! BIG HUGS, Steph

Michelle said...

I like to have time to prepare also before visitors but so much of our family just pops in when they take a notion, that now I just try to deal with the frustration of an undone lists.

One time some family came while we were right in the middle of a paint job on our living room and furniture was piled up everywhere in the house. I was embarrassed but... what can ya do? Just say, Come on in and sit on the floor. LOL

I am glad you had a good visit with your sis and Dad. :)

Have a great week!
-Michelle

Unknown said...

Sounds like your sister has some "gotcha" points she'll have to cash in at some point. :)

I know you enjoy having your father there visiting, even though it always seems stressful to have family in - at least with my family!

Anonymous said...

At least it's never a nasty "pull my finger" sort of surprise.