Friday, August 11, 2006

High on a riverbed

My sister shared a mutual crush with my co-worker, Thad, when she visited at Christmas. He bought a plane ticket to see her in Michigan during spring break, but she changed her mind. He tried to buy her a cell phone when hers drowned in an alcohol-induced incident, but she refused because she didn't want to feel obligated. And when he dropped off roses and a (weird) card for her at my house after she moved here, she decided she was over him.

I sort of know this guy whose Navy Guard unit has been activated to go to Afghanistan in a few weeks (I may be geographically challenged but don't boats need water?). I asked if he had gotten all the loose ends of life wrapped up, because I know he's a single guy and I'm nosy like that. He mentioned that he decided to keep his apartment by having the rent drafted out of his pay automatically, but he needed someone to stay in it (for free) and take care of his dog.

I told Navy Guy about my sister, who is starting classes soon* and REALLY needs a place to live that's closer to the college. He told me that he possibly had a guy willing to stay there for him, but he hadn't gotten a definite answer yet, and she could probably move in if he didn't hear from him soon.

*When I asked her if she was registered yet, she said yes, so I asked what courses she was taking and she told me she didn't know, and to quit interrogating and looking at her(?). I find this odd.

I talked to Navy guy, who told me the family friend IS moving into his apartment for him while he's away. Family friend? Thad, of course. He's the kind of guy that would have bowed out and let my sister stay in the apartment instead, but she never thanked him for the flowers. Dumbass.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there are Navy people in Afghanistan... mostly SEALs and Military Police for security details.

Unknown said...

I'm glad my brother in law is finally retired from the military - makes for a rough time when you have family at home and he's off trapsing around the middle east.

Good luck with your sister. Oy.

Anonymous said...

STOP looking at me.
Stop LOOKING at me.
Stop looking AT me.
Stop looking at ME.
I'm telling.
Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I never had a sister. Are they fun to torment?

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. The problem with crushes.

kittycatlane said...

She sounds like me when I was in high school. I would like a boy until I knew that he really liked me too, then I didn't care about him so much.
I didn't do that all the time, but enough to recognise the signs, lol.

Too bad about the apartment. That was a SUWeet deal!
Sounds like she hasn't registered. (Quit looking at me) lmao too funny. It really does sound like Sher's comment. My kids do that... "MOM, he's/she's looking at me funny!"
BIG HUGS, Steph

Mamabooties said...

hey i have to block my site for a bit. send me a message if you can't get in

Anonymous said...

The new site look is just SUUUPAAHHHH!!!

Anonymous said...

Boys are dumb. If he acts uninterested maybe she'll come around, they will move in together and live happily eva after...or...she could just live with you and your 15 cats FOREVER...come on, you LOVE having a roomie, right?? Right?

She'll figure it out. Trust her. I finally trusted mine and she's doing well, plus I adore your sister (I see so much of myself in her)...

As for that work bitch, good God, I wish I could punch her FOR you.