Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Mona Lisa Summer

One of the last photos I took of my cat Summer before she ran away/got lost/stumbled into a mole-filled heaven nine months ago alternately fascinates and gives me shivers. The background around her is crisp, while she is an ethereal beauty - glowing and planning other-worldly adventures (I'm sure it has something to do with the light or the aperture or something else technical, but that's irrelevant):

My aunt Susie is an artist - an incredibly talented, Belgian chocolate-loving personality whose work turns me a lovely shade of green-with-envy. She and my mom have been best friends longer than I've been alive (they married brothers, but their friendship bond stuck even after their divorces), so she's always been a part of my life. The running joke is the time I babysat for her three kids (my cousins), but didn't pay attention as the toilet leaked and flooded their entire house with a foot of water. Hey, I was only twelve - you get what you pay for!

For my birthday this year, my mom sent a Summer portrait, painted by my Aunt Susie, who, fortunately, doesn't hold grudges:

I couldn't ask for a more wonderful gift.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing more wonderful, of course, would be if Summer reappeared...as if she'd merely been off on an adventure all this time.

Joy said...

that is a fantastic image, your aunt should sell her work!

Anonymous said...

That painting is amazing, and it lines up perfectly with your photo of Summer. Did you plan that? Wow.

Mamabooties said...

Hey so after I have this baby if I send you a pic of both of them think she will paint them for me? Cause that would be way awesome.
In other words the painting is beautiful.

Sarah said...

I swear I commented before. It's blogspot karma, isn't it? It's getting back at me for my blog screwing with you. Damn it!

Beautiful picture, Indigo. The painting is unbelievable. What a talent your aunt has! I'd be painting my pussy all day if I could paint.

Well, I would.

Haphazardkat said...

Wow!! Amazing painting!!
Your Aunt is very talented. She even caught the look of your babys eyes.
The picture you took of Summer is a bit eerie. It looks like she is an angel cat come visiting us mortals for a bit.

Terri G said...

Breathtaking, both of them! Wow!
;)t

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's incredible. Gorgeous.

Summer was a pretty pretty kitty.

kittycatlane said...

OH, it's beautiful and a gift that I know I would treasure forever. (So I know how much you love it!)
Please tell your Aunt how much we love her work, and how she and your Mom have such good hearts.
Your picture of Summer is wonderful too. I know that she was very loved, and I know she knew/knows that too.
BIG HUGS, Steph

Anonymous said...

Plenty nice, Indi. Plenty nice.

Sarah makes me laugh and laugh.

I need to e-mail you sometime soon. How's life?

Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous...she is gorgeous. What a nice gift.

S. said...

Love the picture (both of them actually). The photo, though, is strangely fascinating.

We had a cat reappear after she disappeared once. Turn out she'd moved down the street when we got a new puppy. Tiger. Smart cat.