Wednesday, July 05, 2006

'Twas 71

My parents both use the internet phone plan Vonage, so sometimes our conversations are a series of clicks and echos. Sunday's conversation with my dad was particularly crowded with my ghost menagerie, which led him to tell me this:

When my aunt Denise told her son Travis about taking her first trip to Ireland this summer with her four sisters, he told her, "don't go with them, go with me instead." My twenty-seven year old cousin passed away at the end of February, so in the end, aunt Denise would make the journey with her sisters.

They stayed in a room with the skeleton key inside the lock, but the door would rattle and shake every night regardless. "Leave us alone, Travis...we're old women trying to sleep" became part of the nightly ritual.

On the return flight home, my aunt Denise would have to take a different plane home. Flight 71, which was also Travis' jersey number. Coincidence? Or did he perhaps make the trip to Ireland with his mom, afterall?

7 comments:

Terri G said...

...spooky! and wonderful...

;)t

Anonymous said...

As always, your stories touch our hearts. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

OK - that made all the teeny little hairs on the back of my neck get all tingly and stuff. Thanks for that.

kittycatlane said...

Yep he went. Probably just making sure she was ok, and watched over.
Did they have a good time? BIG HUGS, Steph

Quindigo said...

Terri & HA: I was thinking it would have been better told over a campfire, but...

Steph: apparently, fortune tellers have been telling my aunt and Ryan (his brother) to LET TRAVIS GO! I think you're right, he wanted to watch over her in Ireland.

Debbie (and Sandy): you have no idea how much you and your sister's emails meant to me and how often I've told my family about the amazingly small world we live in. That Sandy's daughter should have my aunt as a teacher long ago, and know Travis...it has touched me often, on so many levels. Thank YOU so much for making me feel a part of something much bigger than myself.

Unknown said...

I was wondering how people liked Vonage, as I'm trying to find an alternative to AT&T for home phone service, I have Verizon for the cell phones.

That is creepy, but in a good way... :) It also sounds fun, as I haven't even left the country, except for Canada. I know, I know, I need to get out more. :)

Anonymous said...

Very creepy...I totally believe in ghosts, so I have no doubt Travis was there.