Thursday, July 06, 2006

From the Barney summer collection

I don't "get" fireworks: they're loud, look the same every year, my pets are terrified and we're in a drought, for god's sake! Besides, I'm the anti-celebrator during holidays. It's what I do.

While everyone else was pigging out on hotdogs and rancid cole slaw, I spent my weekend refinishing the little desk in my kitchen. What I envisioned as a sleek, dark eggplant surfing-stand turned out to be more of a grape kool-aid disaster. I should have just gone to Lowe's, bought some black glossy paint and been finished with it, but I've learned the hard way to avoid that evil, paycheck-sucking chain store.

I rummaged through my storage shed and found some limewash, which I painted on the desk with my random criss cross brush strokes. Nope. I dug deeper and found some crackle buried beneath some ancient pesticide, slopped some of that over the "raisin" base coat, then covered with a layer of white.


Before: old, dark brown, ragged desk. Dated.




Midproject: grape monstrosity.



After: old, purple, crackled, one-of-a-kind desk. Never been kissed.






I'm still not quite sure what I'll do to help this ugly stepchild of a desk, but I'm guessing some sort of stripping will be involved (oh la la!). For now, I giggle whenever I look at it, and shouldn't home decorating involve laughter? Or is that just me?

12 comments:

Terri G said...

Definitely! Now your desk has a story...some people pay good money to have their desk look like that. I promise. ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, I love it - but then, I love anything distressed

Quindigo said...

Terri: Let those people know I'll take a check...

Brenda: Really? My hodge podge of painting techniques has a name? Distressed sounds much better than Suicidal desk. ;)

Anonymous said...

yeah, distressed sounds better than 'look at that poor thing...what did it ever do to HER?'

I have a desk with a story, too...it's a sad, ugly tale best left untold.

ALWAYS love your pics.

Unknown said...

If you only knew some of the "projects" I've started only to end up at Home Depot or the hardware store trying desperately to undo what I quite literally f***ed up. Your work isn't anywhere near my talent - meaning it actually looks cool, it's certainly one of a kind! :)

PS - Love the notebook! My notebook stand is a table I picked up at the Salvation Army thrift store and it's a perfect fit. :)

kittycatlane said...

Well, distressed is a good name for it... LOL
What kind of wood is it? I usually prefer the natural wood, IF it's a nice one.
I'm excited to see what you do with it next. (better you than me!) I have tons of stuff around here that I need to refinish, but my standing membership in "Procrastinator's of America" won't let me. Union rules ya know. BIG HUGS, Steph

Anonymous said...

Hmmm . . . I actually kind of like it. Although now I'm wondering what the purple would have looked like distressed. Oooo! You could distress purple paint over the white paint! Or would that be too much? Hmmmmm.

kittycatlane said...

Oh,...
Nobody loves me, everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go and eat worms,
Long slim slimy ones, short fat juicy ones,
Itsy bitsy ftlzzy wuzzy worms.
First you cut the heads off, then you suck the guts out
Oh, how they wiggle and squirm,
Long slim slimy ones, short fat juicy ones,
Itsy bitsy ftlzzy wuzzy worms.

Just for you Indi! LOL Steph

Anonymous said...

you are one hard one to keep track of! You need to allow RSS readers. You know that is the only thing that keeps me sane and finding people.

Your desk is hmmm, "interesting". But the grape purple color definitely had to go!

aak

Anonymous said...

oh, but i like it! i think it looks really cool. seriously.

Haphazardkat said...

Much better then the purple! :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know you could buy raisin coloured paint...really it's a sin and should be outlawed
;P