Friday, July 28, 2006

Follow your heart

If you’re lucky, you find people who change (for the better) the way you view yourself, others and the world. Besides family, I have found three such people, two of whom are in a tremendous amount of emotional pain right now.

A few of you left comments regarding the strength of connections they feel to people they've met only through the internet and I couldn't agree more. Jock could be a modern-day St. Francis of Assisi, protector of animals (okay, the sainthood might be pushing it a bit unless whiskey is allowed these days, but still...). Last week, he was caring for twenty-one cats, and would rather skip meals himself than see one go hungry. I can't express how much I admire his devotion and dedication. He has buried four kittens in one week and the trend doesn't seem to be stopping. I don’t know if there is something a vet can do or a medication that will help, but I can’t live with myself if I sit idly by and do nothing as they continue to die from this "one day they're fine, the next day they're being buried" illness.

I was actually moved to tears when a group of strangers on the internet helped pay the surgery bill of a kitten that had been run over - there is so much good in the world sometimes, it amazes and astounds me. Though he would never in a million years ask for help, I will. The cat photo to the right will take you directly to Paypal to donate if you’d like to help.

For my disappearing act: I booked a ticket to Milwaukee, leaving this morning from Tallahassee (figuring I’d bypass the whole “speeding ticket/missed flight/get a hotel room” process I endure when I fly out of Atlanta). I may be able to do nothing more than cry with my friend as she mourns the loss of her father, but offering my shoulder from nine-hundred miles away and sending flowers hardly felt supportive enough.

18 comments:

Joy said...

thank you.. that's all i can say

Sarah said...

What a phenominal friend you are.

Mamabooties said...

wow i am glad for you. I am glad you decided to go.

kittycatlane said...

I was hoping you'd do this. BIG HUGS, Steph

~Vital~ said...

I started crying when I seen "Jock's Kitten Click to donate" I could just hug you! At the moment I can't donate, sadly enough, I'm fighting to keep my home, but as soon as things turn around for me I am going to donate. Hope you keep this up for a while so I may do that. Tell Jock we send many, many hugs. Tell him I am keeping him in my thoughts and prayers...and that I just flat out miss the sh#t out of him.

Mildred Ratched said...

I would be more than glad to help, but after going through an identity theft case not long ago, I don't feel comfortable to use the internet to do any money transactions. If you contact me by email (red_kitten1@yahoo.com) and let me know some other way I can donate money or whatever, I'll be more than glad to send what I can.

You're a good person and a great friend to do this for Jnuts.

~Vital~ said...

could you also, with jocks permission of course, let us know how he and the kitty's are doing from time to time

Anonymous said...

be well Indigo and have a safe trip - you'll be glad you went.

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised at your compassion or at Jocks. I hope you both are doing well in the coming days.

Peace -
Stephen

Anonymous said...

We'll all be out here sending strong hellpful thoughts your way.

jnuts said...

Uh...people. Please ignore Indigo. She means well, but she must not know me as well as she thinks. I would never accpet money from anyone. I have family if it comes to that. I appreciate the thought. I appreciate the words of all on here, even more. I don't need money to let me know that. The fact that people in my bloglife care enough to put me in their thoughts, is quite enough.

So, I've written to Indigo, asking her to take down the pay pal button. He heart is in the right place but she IS a bit impulsive.

Terri G said...

...I ADORE your impulsiveness! Absolutely and completely!

Safe trip, sweetie. You are amazing. ;)

Lady Bagladie said...

So much sadness, I am so sorry to hear about all of this.
What a friend you are. That makes me happier.
Have a safe trip.

kittycatlane said...

Jock, the money is for the kittens/cats, and you know it. Would it really kill you to let us help them?
You know how I feel about cats, and you as a friend, why would you deny any of us the chance to help? It's from our hearts. Accept some love. Don't bitch about it, don't let it bother you, just accept our love... damnit! lol BIG HUGS, Steph

Haphazardkat said...

You are giving the best gift of all to your friend...your time and company.

Anonymous said...

I read some (apparently now erased) comments yesterday and wanted to say this. I didn't donate money to help Jock, I donated money to help his 'babies.' I don't want it back.

Quindigo said...

Anonymous & others: someone suggested I send him the money for the cats or donate it to the Republican party - his choice. HAHA! (It's difficult for me to do anything from Milwaukee, but will after I've returned home and talked to him).

kittycatlane said...

OH I love whoever came up with that idea.... eeeeexcelllent! lol