Friday, June 23, 2006

Is that a pea in your mattress?

Prelude to a rant, the warning: I adore my sister, Quincheck. Really. She has so many wonderful qualities, and I'm so fortunate that we have a great relationship, but alas, even Princesses have flaws (or two) and sometimes it takes all my willpower not to reach out, grab her neck, dig my thumbs into her jugular and choke some sense into her (or let her pass out, then steal all her clothes).

My sister’s mom* invited me over for her birthday dinner the other night, but Quincheck was too depressed to come out of her room. Apparently, this is the first time in years that she hasn’t been out partying ‘til the wee hours of the morning with her friends on her birthday. Wah-fucking-wah.

*the second of three of my dad's wives - another tall (5'9") long-legged blonde wife of German descent. Think he has a "type"?

My sister, as a fresh twenty-four year old without kids or a mortgage payment, is obviously under the impression that life is still a party. Why shouldn't it be? She doesn't work, her parents/student loans support her, and and her good looks and a great personality have gotten her pretty damn far in life.

We were watching Paris and Nicole on a commercial a couple of weeks ago. Quincheck loves "The Simple Life", while I find it an absolutely disgusting example of how baaaaaad television can be (and I watch "Date my Mom" on MTV, so I'm definitely no tv snob). Two wealthy, spoiled girls with nothing better to do than take a break from the party circuit to pretend to work for a month. Wow. I mentioned that it was a shame they had to rely on their parents for support, that it must suck to be nothing more than a celebrity party girl, and how could they ever have pride for their accomplisments when they've done nothing. As a parent, I'm appalled.
My sister, of course, completely disagreed, thinking nothing in the world would be better.

Maybe I'm "old school" in my views...perhaps it was weird that I joined the Army to pay for my education...that I don't believe anyone owes me anything I can't earn myself. I'm not trying to be judgemental (maybe I'm not trying hard enough), but I want to know WHEN she is going to get over this "I don't do manual labor" mentality, roll up her sleeves, and get to work. And then? I want her to make me some dinner and change the kitty litter!

10 comments:

monty said...

I bet you ... well,a lot of money, real money non Dubya confetti $, that you give in first and meet her on her side. Your next entry will involve beer, late night partying and peeing in the street. In fact right now you're thinking about what you're gonna wear and where you're gonna go.

Give us the responsibility lecture again tomorrow when the cats are crawling all over your drunken bed-ridden 39 yr old shell and you're begging for some intravenous ibuprofen double quick.

p.s. remember to put the kitty litter beside your bed before you go out.

Anonymous said...

It could be worse, your sis could end up like my youngest brother; homeless and prone to methamphetamine-induced psychotic episodes, and living off the streets in Houston. When he gets baked he throws his own clothes away! It's been going on for 25 years though, and it is really sad that our entire family (and the great state of Texas' for-shit Mental Health Department I might add) have essentially given up hope for ever salvaging what is left of him. He truly is a lost soul.

Love and embrace your sis. 24 is still young enough that she is going to make plenty of mistakes (haven't we all?). Nobody (normal) really grows up until they hit at least 30. All you can do is provide a good example for her and offer advice when asked. Hopefully she will eventually find her place in the "real" world. In the meantime, be thankful that all she needs is an occassional reality check, instead of some time getting a sanity tune-up and some detoxification over at the happy hilton.

And do try to avoid throttling her.

Terri G said...

I want to say something responsible and grown up. But all that I am feeling is jealousy...life as a party? *sigh* Sounds pretty d*mn good to me! ;)

Unknown said...

*busting a gut*

Thankfully my sister isn't a princess, she's the type that kicks pretty girls asses. Anyway, she's ex-military also so I think it comes from doing for our country instead of always doing for ones self. :)

Mamabooties said...

Let's see I wanted to leave a comment last night but my computer wouldn't let me. Something about Active X controls???
Anyway, by the time I was 24 I was already pregnant and divorced. Supporting myself until I got too sick from that good ole morning sickness and had to take short term diss from work. So to be her age and living at home with no responsibilites at all? No thanks. I like my responsibilities and wouldn't change them in the world. Damn now I am 27 and my booties is turning 3 17 days before I turn 28.

Quindigo said...

Monty: I'm 38, not 39. Note to self: make sure my sister hasn't updated her blog recently.

Mayor: Pee I can handle...it's the spaghetti-laced vomit that freaks me out.

HA: I should mention that she and my son joke about him getting put on aderall so she can buy the prescription from him. Overall, though, yes, there's still hope.

Terri: life as a party means never having enough clothes, either. It's quite stressful, I hear.

Stephen: I like your sister already!

Leah: I tend to believe life will be easier when people like you and me are older 'cause we'll be free to coast.

kittycatlane said...

UGH as a Mom, all I can think of is she's a spoiled brat! (and I like her) lmao
Life isn't parties and fun, not when you are a real grown up, and no matter what hoplessly says, 30 is too damn late to be thinking about it.
I know Leah, and I'm very proud of her. She's young but responsible, and a great Mom.
I'd be tempted to strangle your sis myself... princess indeed. lol BIG HUGS, Steph

Mamabooties said...

Wow you and Steph both leave me speechless and for me that is hard... LOL. Thank you both.

Anonymous said...

I must guess that Quincheck is one of those "real-lifers" you don't want lurking about?

Otherwise, she's gonna be pissed!

I agree with you, but remember to give blame where blame is due: I'D still be living at home and mooching off my parents if they hadn't put their collective feet down.

People only behave as poorly (or irresponsibly or whatever) as they are allowed. Her parents may need the ol' jugular shake as well...

(Not that I don't love your dad -- because I do. But sometimes, our love for our children gets in the way of doing what's best for them -- because sometimes, "best" sucks.

I've missed you.

Anonymous said...

What makes this funny to me is that I completely agree with you, and I don't think the world owes me anything. But my older sister thinks I'm just hanging out and not working hard enough. Ha.