Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Raining cats and...broncos.

From July 8th of last year. I thought some foreshadowing might be nice before my next entry. Dammit.
-------
Last Wednesday, storm clouds started moving in while I was at work, so I decided to leave 15 minutes early to get home and let my dog in the house. She's sensitive (read "wuss") and thunder sends her to the closet to shiver. I'm not crazy about all that dog fur on my clothes, but I didn't want her stuck outside.

I turned east on I-84, hauling ass as I'm prone to do, when the sky fell open. I was listening to Sinead O'Connor's The Lion and The Cobra cd, an old favorite from '87. She may be a bit controversial, but damn that woman can sing! I always wail along with her, covering my complete vocal range from out-of-tune to downright painful. I turned the volume up, wayyyy up.

I want your hands on me - what I want, give me
You know I wanna please you - what I wanna do to you

I'm not overly observant when it comes to other vehicles and actually drove past my ex-husband one time stranded on the side of the road. He had hit a deer and I was the only other car (sorry about your luck). This particular rainy afternoon, however, I saw a Bronco-type vehicle driving on the opposite side of the highway. Everything was in such slow motion, it seemed as though the SUV was practicing for a fire emergency: it stopped, dropped and rolled. It flipped across the grassy median, finally landing on the driver's side a few feet away from me.

You don't waste no time, do you?
You know I'm looking through you

I slammed on the brakes and pulled over to the shoulder, jumping out to make sure no one was hurt. I peeked in the windows and saw two elderly women together on the driver's seat, as if somehow they had both been driving. By this time, two other men had pulled over and were attemptimg to get the passenger side door open (which was now located on top of the vehicle) - we couldn't get it to budge. Instead, we managed to get the rear hatch door open, to make sure the women were okay (sorry for the muddy size 8 footprints on the upholstery) and waited for an ambulance to arrive.

Why you wanna tease me - I want you to come and please me

They both seemed fine, physically, just shaken as we waited for the ambulance. The driver was at least sixty years old, her passenger mother far gone into Alzheimer territory. She never said a word, didn't seem to comprehend what anyone said or where she was. Her dark eyes kept searching mine for...something, while her tiny, frail hands reached out...scratching, some sort of physical attempt to get answers. I will never, as long as I live, forget those birdlike hands and intense eyes staring up at me.

Put'em on, put'em on, put'em on me
Put'em on, put'em on, put'em on me

8 comments:

patresa hartman said...

oh, i remember this entry -- for the very powerful image in the last paragraph.

you say this is foreshadowing? uh-oh.

Anonymous said...

boo.

Hello mystery woman residing in the gulf. I am trying to make arrangements to be the turkey. ;)

Anonymous said...

(second try at the comment thing)
That was very haunting and moving, Indi.
And the sychronization of the music was particularly beautiful...
;)t

Quindigo said...

Ms. Biped: yep, uh-oh is right.

Darren: need a baster? ;)

Terri: if only life had a synchronized soundtrack, eh?

Michelle said...

I remember reading this entry before too. I like how you wrote this and how the music blends so perfectly.We passed by a car accident in Montgomery today. Not as bad as that one though!

I am curious what the next entry will be.

Forshadowing.. Dammit...

Oh dear! I will wait and see. :S

-M.

kittycatlane said...

I'm almost afraid to come back and read what's coming next... almost, but I'll be here. lol
So, they were both OK?
I've only been in once accident. One of the EMT's was a young man I went to school with, he held my hand, talked to me. Just that human touch was enough to help me relax and not be so afraid. I'm sure that you helped her more than you know.

I love those lyrics.
BIG HUGS, Steph

Anonymous said...

Trying not to sound redundant but that was really well written. I can't wait to see what happens next but if you're foreshadowing maybe I don't want to know.

This brought back the memory of my first big accident. My car tipped over. I have always wondered what people thought when they saw this beater spin out of control and flip over. Then see the driver climb out and start asking people to help him tip the car back over so he could check on his tuba and be on his way.

Haphazardkat said...

Oh good lord! How freaky!
Scratching bird like hands...*shudder* Thanks for the nightmare image!