Saturday, September 09, 2006

(Beyond the) Pale green Athena

Other people drive inanimate objects on the highways and byways. Cars. Trucks. Motorcycles. I am transported by a pronoun worthy pale-green goddess -- the first vehicle I ever bought myself, without the assistance of a cheap, bad-ass negotiating spouse.

I took her to the body shop and was told she needs a little work on her rear end (hey, it happens). $5000 and three weeks is the estimation, then she should be back to bouncing quarters and cracking walnuts.

My auto insurance will pay the car rental for thirty days, so I handed over my driver's license to the woman at the customer service desk, who asked if all the information was correct.

"Well, no..." I said, "that's my married name there, which I'm not. And the address was three moves ago."

"Not a problem...except that your driver's license expired in July. I can't rent this car to you."

Well, of course not (to quote an old Steve Martin act, it's all about the timing. Ti-MING).

She told me that Tim would drive me home to get my relevant paperwork (name change, divorce decree), then to the courthouse to get my license. Tim is retired from the Navy, saw combat in Vietnam, and grew up in this area so I got the full tour: the house he grew up in, the creek he fished in, and all the schools in the area. I'm going to suggest to my insurance company that they cover the rental and driver for the next three weeks.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

heheheh

Shame on you for not renewing your drivers permit. I almost forgot about my tags until I saw the online renewal form in my bills box.

Green? Why green of all colors! :)

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! I am so in awe...NEVER have I heard of a rental company making things so easy. And Tim? Fascinating...

I think things like that only happen to gorgeous you...
;)t

Anonymous said...

...and I love the new header pic. Breathtaking!. ;)

Michelle said...

After reading this, I just went to see when my driver's license expires. (laugh)

I am sorry about your car but I am glad that you will have a rental until it is fixed.

Have a good weekend. :)

((hug))
Michelle

patresa hartman said...

well, i hope your car's ass is spanking fresh soon!

oh. ha ha! i am a clever clever beast. you should see the comment i just left for kay. i am OOZING clever-ness.

and i think this is a true indigo entry.
ph

Anonymous said...

d'oh!

At least Tim was entertaining showing you the local color and all. :)

Mamabooties said...

My licence doesn't expire till 2038. I got it in 1995? I think? Something about it expiring when I am 60 years old? WTF is that? Oh well gotta love the good ole' AZ.

kittycatlane said...

A pale green mermaid huh?

Ass work is never cheap these days. lol
How many mechanics had to look at your rear (end) before you got a quote? LOL
Be sure who ever works on it is the best, rear (end) man they have! LOL
ahhhh I could go on forever, but I won't!
OH don't forget before and after pictures of your rear (end)....
OK OK! LOL
Good thing you don't live here. If they saw you hadn't changed and updated your license, and then saw it was expired, these a-hole's would have thrown you in jail. BIG HUGS, Steph

Alke said...

Lucky me, over here (germany)drivers licences never expire. (except if you are caught speeding or drinking+driving).
But sometimes I think they should expire at the age of 70.
Great Blog!

Quindigo said...

Stephen: the color just seems soothing to me, somehow. Now if I could just find a color to make me drive SLOWER!

Terri: I asked if he could swing by the grocery store, too, but apparently he thought I was joking ;)

Ms. Biped: I tried to get a car/owner ass special, but they'd have none of that.

Julie: certainly more entertaining than being ferried around in silence!

Leah: Seriously?? Wow! It's every four years here, unfortunately.

Steph: I'm still wondering why I didn't get a ticket for having an expired license...surely the officer noticed?

Alke: thanks! Personally, I think you should have to get a new license when you move to a new state - in case the laws are different...

Kay: Me too! I saw the color on a BMW a few years ago and knew it was the color for me! The rental? It's called "magnesium", kind of a bluish-gray, sluggish 4-cylinder Dodge. It's okay, but I can't ever seem to find it when I'm parked in a lot!

Michelle: good thing you checked the date - it sneaks up on 'ya!

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for an update on Tim. Are you still driving around with him?

I am growing concerned for your safety in cars...I seem to remember plenty of posts dealing with police/tickets/etc.

Quindigo said...

Sarah: since he showed me where he lives, I plan on letting him be my designated driver next time I go out. Won't he be psyched?! ;)